The African star apple is a dark yellowish fruit with semi-circle seeds, a popular seasonal fruit in the West Africa region. The exotic fruit which has an edible skin that ranges in color from green to orange, depending on the stage of ripeness. The tender, sweet inner flesh is off-white with seeds making the inner to look like a star-shaped fruit. The fruit is mostly cultivated in the rural areas and is very common during the dry months of December to April. The fruit is mostly found in African countries like Nigeria, Cameroon, Cote d’ Ivorie, Uganda and Niger Republic.
Popularly called Agbalumo, Udara, and Otien in some parts of Nigeria, the African cherry fruit has lots of health benefits that will surprise anyone! * Useful for herbal medicine Bark of African star apple can be used to treat yellow fever and malaria. For those of you who are suffering skin eruptions, stomach ache, and diarrhea, you will get the benefit if using leaves from African star apple tree as a treatment. Ointments that come from cotyledons of African star apple seeds can be used to treat vaginal and dermatological infections. This treatment is done in western Nigeria.
* Low calories African star apple is known for its low calorie. A portion of African star apple contains only 67 calories. For those of you who are running a diet program and who want to lose weight, it is suitable for consume this fruit. African star apple can also make you full quickly and can stop your hunger because of the fiber.
* High water content African star apple is a fruit that has high water content. Other than that, the fruit is also low in carbohydrate, protein, crude fiber and very low in fat. According to a research, the longer you store African star apple that has been picked, the more nutrients you will get.
* Good during pregnancy African star apple is very liked by some women while pregnant. Because of its acidic taste, it can help pregnant women to stop the urge to vomit. Researches say that African star apple can help some of the problems that facing by women who are pregnant such as reducing constipation, overcoming a sore throat, and helping with digestion.
* Excellent source of Vitamin C White star apple had been suggested to contain more vitamin C than orange and guava, the friut is also rich in calcium, iron potassium, phosphorous, magnesium, tannins, flavonoids, terpenoids, and phytochemicals. We know the importance of Vitamin C Benefits For Health & Beauty . But, the human body can not produce ascorbic acid or vitamin C itself. So, we need to get it from an outside source. From 100 g of African star apple, we can get 25 g vitamin C. * Natural Antioxidants Our bodies are vulnerable to cigarette smoke and radiation. This can lead to free radicals that have a harmful effect one of those is heart attack and cancer. Protect your body from free radicals effect. Free radical effects can be overcome with antioxidants. Indeed, by consuming this fruit, you can maintain heart health and the health of your other organs.
* Contains compounds that are important for the body African star apple contains eleagnine that works against microbes. Eleagnine was found to be the main compound responsible for its antimicrobial activity. Eleagnine was further shown to exhibit anti-nociceptive, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activities. The seed cotyledon has been reported to possess anti-hyperglycemic (lowers high blood sugar) and hypolipidemic (lower blood cholesterol)
Being a seasonal fruit, it is best to consume this nutritious fruit whenever it is in season i.e between December and March (dry season), mother nature knows why it is provided during the dry season, probably to boost our immune system.