When it comes to working every part of the human body, dancing is a great place to start. Dance has always been a part of human culture, rituals and celebrations. Today, most dancing is about recreation and self-expression, although it can also be done as a competitive activity. Dancing is an enjoyable way to be more physically active and stay fit.
There are many forms of dance, from ballroom to barn dancing and disco to Morris dancing. You do not have to be a professional before you can dance, it is simply moving to rhythm and beat. Dance floors tend to be sweaty places for a reason. All of those shimmies and shakes burn energy like you would not believe and come with many other surprising health benefits such as:
1. Improved Mental Health Dance not only instills grace, but it also helps you age gracefully. According to a study in The New England Journal of Medicine, dancing may boost your memory and prevent you from developing dementia as you get older. Science reveals that aerobic exercise can reverse volume loss in the hippocampus, the part of the brain that controls memory. The hippocampus naturally shrinks during late adulthood, which often leads to impaired memory and sometimes dementia. Dance is also a great way of relieving mental stress. 2. Improved Flexibility Dancing improves your flexibility and helps you to get rid of stiffness. The best dance for this is ballet. Regular dance classes are beneficial in increasing flexibility this helps you from to avoid joint pain and soreness which comes with exercising. This is both important for teens and both adults.
3. Diminish Depression Dancing really does lift your spirits. According to a study that tested the effects of dancing on people with depression, patients who participated in an upbeat group dance showed the fewest depression symptoms and the most vitality. Are you a bit down? Grab a friend and go out dancing tonight.
4. Healthy Heart Dancing is a great activity for those at risk for cardiovascular disease. It improves the heart health and cures breathing complications. Dancing improves the quality of life better than the treadmill or biking according to an Italian study. This could be as a result of the enjoyment that comes with dancing.
5. Weight loss Dancing improves your aerobic fitness in the same way as cycling or jogging do. The salsa dance called Zumba is the most effective in burning calories as it is intense. In thirty minutes, one can burn about 250 calories. It is more effective in tackling obesity and thus many schools have established dancing classes in line with this factor.
6. Better Balance Dancing requires a lot of fast movement and good posture, so frequent dancing will help you stabilize and gain better control of your body.
7. Improved confidence Dancing builds your confidence, and self esteem. This has a positive effect on your social life. You are able to interact with other people in dance classes and also make new friends. The benefits of having a good social life are tremendous, it increases your happiness, it gives you the “feel-good” factor, it also reduces stress and strengthens one’s immunity. 8. Increased Energy levels Regular dancing programs have an effect in your performance and energy levels in adults and both teens. It increases energy levels and thus your activity is boosted too.
9. Body health benefits Dancing has great benefits to your body health. It tones your entire body and improves you muscle strength. Thus one can look more beautiful and in the best shape while doing what you enjoy best.
Next time when you are bored,fired up or just wanting to exercise, check your playlist, click on something fast and engaging, turn up the volume and dig in.
Dance your way to health!