Being able to wear the type of clothes you really want is influenced by a lot of factors, one of which is the state of your underarms. Dark underarms are deal-breakers for quite a lot of people who might want to combine comfort with style on the go. Dark coloration of the skin in the underarm region is usually not a disease or medical condition. It can be thought of as the skin’s response to exposure to certain elements and conditions, similar to a suntan that results from exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet rays.
Some of the main causes of dark underarms are shaving, regular use of hair removing creams, excessive sweating, poor ventilation of underarms, accumulation of dead skin cells, and use of alcohol-based deodorants and antiperspirants. Not to worry, although, many are the causes of dark underarms but these homemade remedies deliver you out of them all.
* Potatoes- Potatoes contain an enzyme called catecholase, which has natural bleaching properties. Cut a potato into slices and rub a slice over the affected area. Let the juice dry and rinse off after thirty minutes. Use this remedy three to four times a week for best results.
* Cucumber- Slice the cucumber thinly and rub it on the affected area. You can also grate the cucumber and use the juice. You can go further and add a few drops of lemon juice or some turmeric enough to make a paste with the cucumber juice. Apply gently the paste to the affected area, wait for 30 minutes and wash off.
* Coconut oil- The vitamin found in the coconut oil helps in lightening of the skin if used for some time. When the process is repeated for several days, a person is able to get better results. Massage the oil onto the skin before bathing for about 15 minutes. Rinse with mild soap and lukewarm water.
* Lemon- Rub a thick slice of lemon on the dark affected area. The fruit removes the dead skin cells and consequently lightens the skin. This should be followed by washing and application of moisturizer as lemon juice tends to dry out the skin. You can also add a small amount of turmeric, plain yogurt or pure honey to the lemon juice so as to make a paste, apply the paste on the affected area, leave it for about 10 minutes and then rinse clean.
* Vinegar- This gives the skin a lighter look that is germ free and sweet smelling. Mix vinegar with rice flour to form a paste. Take a hot shower and apply the paste to the underarms, let it dry for a few minutes and then rinse with warm water. Repeat the procedure daily.
* Moisturize- The most important thing that one can do in prevention or even treatment of darkened underarm is usually to moisturize the area that has been affected at least twice a day preferably using natural moisturizers like the aloe Vera and lecithin.
* Exfoliate – Exfoliation reduces the darkened appearance of the skin by removing accumulated dead skin cells from the underarms. The following can be used to exfoliate the skin: 1. Sugar: Mix a cup of brown sugar with 2 tablespoon of virgin oil. Apply the mixture to the skin for a few minutes during the shower or bath and then rinse. You are advised to try using the mixture at least twice a week especially when you bath. 2. Baking soda: Apply a thick paste of baking soda made with water to the underarms, scrub, rinse and dry the area. 3. Baking soda and rose water: Make a thick paste of baking soda with rose water and apply to the underarm. Wash off the paste with warm water after some minutes. Dry the arms and repeat the process every other day until you see the lightening of the underarms. 4. Oranges: The peeled skin of an orange is put out to dry. Grind the dried skin to powder and make a paste by adding rose water and milk. Scrub the paste on the underarms for about 15 minutes to be able to remove the dead cells, then rinse using cold water. 5.Pumice stone: Remove dead skin cells gently from your underarms by the use of pumice stone. This light weight, volcanic rock is sold in your local drug store and also beauty parlors. Wet the stone thoroughly and rub gently on the body giving special attention to the affected area.
These remedies can be extended to dark spots on the skin to give a generally even complexion to the skin. Take care of your skin, it is your identity!