Colour is what makes the world beautiful. Beauty isn't complete without a shade of lipstick. Wanting to be beautiful is a strong desire; so strong that cosmetics manufacturers are hoping that consumers won’t look very deeply at the effects of their beauty products. Lipsticks make a fashion statement and there are so many shades to pick from.
Now, as interesting and charming as having a lipstick on can be, there are several potential side effects of this item on the body due to the ingredients used during the manufacturing process. Let's have a look at some.
* Mineral oils block skin pores The mineral oils used in lipsticks block the skin pores, chap the lips and are responsible for many permanent harmful effects. Lipsticks are known to cause allergy and irritation over the lips and the surrounding skin.
* Heavy metals causes renal failure Lipsticks contain harmful heavy metals like cadmium, magnesium and chromium. All these metals can cause dangerous diseases and organ damage. Extremely high amounts of cadmium can increase the risk of renal failure. Frequent application of lipstick can cause severe stomach tumors.
* Lead affects nervous system Lead is a common constituent in most lipsticks. Lead is a neurotoxin that has an harmful effect on the nervous and hormonal system. It can also cause brain damage, hormonal imbalance and infertility.
* Petrochemicals disrupt growth Many lipsticks have petrochemicals as a common ingredient, which have harmful side-effects. Petrochemicals are a by-product of crude oil and natural gas. It can cause endocrine disruption that works as an obstacle for growth, development, reproduction, and intelligence.
* Preservatives cause cancer Formaldehyde and parabens which are known carcinogens are often used as preservatives in lipsticks. These lipsticks cause irritation of the eyes, coughing, wheezing and irritation of the skin.
* Increases toxin ingestion Licking of lips, eating and drinking increases toxin ingestion long after lipsticks are applied. This increases the impact of the toxins present in lipsticks. The lipstick or lip gloss result in women exceeding the daily intake permitted for aluminium, cadmium, chromium and manganese. These accumulate in the body over time and cause toxicity.
* Chemicals harm the body Though bismuth oxychloride is a chemical used to preserve the lipstick, it is extremely harmful for the body. The harmful effect of lipsticks is due to the carcinogenic property of this ingredient. The propylparabens act as preservatives just like formaldehyde. Lipstick pigments contain harsh chemicals that irritate the skin and lead to blackening of lips or on can even cause leucoderma due to melanocyte destruction.
On the lighter side, even men are vulnerable to the side-effect caused by lipstick stain on their shirts, when they are caught by their wives who realize that the lipstick stain on their shirt does not belong to them (Oops!).
Meanwhile, here are some advantages of wearing lipsticks:
1. Boosts Confidence. 2. Protects lips from the sun (No one wants to look like a smoker with dark, sunburned lips). 3. Lipstick can make your lips appear fuller. 4. Improves Posture. A study by L'Oreal revealed that the (albeit, small) act of "stretching" to put on lipstick improves balance and coordination, and thereby makes you stand taller. 5. Most lipsticks keep the lips hydrated. Care should be taken to use lipsticks only on special occasions or make sure that you apply lipstick once a day only.n Always go for quality products, avoid cheap and low-grade ones (Besides, what is worth doing at all is worth doing well). This will drastically solve most of the problems that are caused by the lipsticks.Later!