Antibiotics, also known as antibacterials, are medications that destroy or slow down the growth of bacteria. Like the name indicates, all natural antibiotics are manufactured with no synthetic substances. The main ingredients are plant compounds and minerals found in Nature. The original antibiotics, like a lot of today’s antibiotics, are derived from natural sources. Certain plant extracts, essential oils, and even foods have antibiotic properties. For example, some food and vegetable extracts can prevent the growth of bacteria in food.
Natural antibiotics operate in 2 primary ways. First, they eliminate the dangerous germs killing some helpful bacteria in the process, but that is considered a tiny price to pay if you compare the final results of the proliferation of those germs within your body. Nevertheless, the quantity of helpful microorganisms which is wiped out tends to be exceptionally small. Additionally, their performance is far superior if you compare them with the quantity of useful bacteria killed by artificial antibiotics. The second way is by boosting the body’s defenses. In this way, your body system will be capable of fighting back any germs and their consequences. The advantage with this strategy is that no helpful bacteria will be eradicated.
With an ongoing increase in drug-resistant bacteria, scientists are looking to nature when developing new medications. Below is a list of scientifically proven natural antibiotics. 1. Garlic Garlic has long been thought to have antimicrobial properties. One 2011 study found that garlic concentrate is effective against bacteria. Garlic is generally safe to ingest, but large doses might cause internal bleeding. Up to two cloves per day is considered an acceptable dosage. Research has found that garlic can be an effective treatment against many forms of bacteria, including Salmonella and Escherichia coli (E. coli). Garlic has even been considered for use against multi-drug resistant tuberculosis. You can make your own extract by soaking a few garlic cloves in olive oil.
2. Honey Honey is one the oldest known antibiotics, tracing back to ancient times. Egyptians frequently used honey as a natural antibiotic and skin protectant. It contains hydrogen peroxide, which may account for some of its antibacterial properties. It also has a high sugar content, which can help stop the growth of certain bacteria. Antibacterial properties aside, honey may help wounds to heal by providing a protective coating that fosters a moist environment. A 2011 study reported that the best-known type of honey inhibits approximately 60 kinds of bacteria. It also suggests that honey successfully treats wounds infected with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). Honey can be applied directly to wounds or infected area. If possible, opt for raw Manuka honey. This form of honey offers the most health benefits. You can also ingest honey to aid in the treatment of internal infections. Simply swallow a whole tablespoon or stir it into a warm cup of herbal tea for a soothing treat.
3. Ginger Studies have shown that fresh ginger does have an antibiotic effect against food borne pathogens such as salmonella, listeria and campylobacter. Fresh ginger also increases stomach acid production and helps calm indigestion when a meal just doesn’t agree with you (or vice versa). Properly made ginger tea is helpful for digestive ailments such as the inability to absorb food properly and an overabundance of pathogens in the gut. Malabsorption of food can cause nutritional deficiencies that lead to disease over time. Researchers are also exploring ginger's power to combat seasickness and nausea and to lower blood sugar levels.
4. Vitamin C Numerous bacterial infections have being handled by the use of vitamin C. This all natural antibiotic should be employed in high amounts to be effective. Some illnesses such as whooping cough, diphtheria, polio and tetanus may be treated using vitamin C. This natural antibiotic may also help in the treatment of bacterial infections caused by AIDS. Vitamin C has a crucial role in the formation of white blood cells; for that reason, the immune system is able to fight bacteria easier.
5. Thyme essential oil Many all-natural household cleaners use thyme essential oil. This oil has been shown to be especially helpful against antibiotic-resistant bacteria. In a 2011 study, researchers tested the effectiveness of both lavender and thyme essential oil. Both oils were tested in a pool of over 120 strains of bacteria. The researchers found thyme essential oil to be more effective at killing bacteria than lavender essential oil. Thyme essential oil is for external use only and not to be ingested. Before applying to the affected area, be sure to dilute the essential oil with equal parts carrier oil. Common carrier oils include coconut and olive oils. Applying undiluted essential oil to the skin may cause inflammation and irritation.
6. Olive Leaf Extract Most people are aware of the health benefits of pure, 100% extra virgin olive oil. However, many in the health community are still in the dark about the antibiotic effects of olive leaf extract coming from the very same trees! Olive leaf extract may be best known for its ability to reduce fever even due to severe illness. Oleuropein was isolated from olive leaf extract as this phytochemical was thought to give the olive tree its resistance to disease. Researchers from the Netherlands then learned that elenolic acid, a component of oleuropein, acted as a broad spectrum natural antibiotic, which safely and strongly inhibits the growth of not only bacteria, but also viruses and fungi. Use of olive leaf extract for long standing infections or candida is two 500 mg capsules (20% oleuropein) three to four times per day, preferably with meals.
7. Extra Virgin Coconut Oil Caprylic and lauric acids found in coconut oil are well-known as antimicrobial, antiviral and antifungal. You can incorporate extra virgin coconut oil into your diet by using it as a cooking oil, or simply taking a tablespoon per day.
8. Colloidal Silver This organic treatment is developed by dispersing small particles of silver in a special type of liquid. This natural antibiotic is primarily used in water filtering equipment. It’s employed in water filtration systems because it prevents the growth of germs. Colloidal silver is a great organic remedy since it disrupts the enzyme-system of most bacteria. For this reason, this natural antibiotic can be helpful in eliminating almost any kind of bacterial infection. It can even be used to cure tough diseases like yeast infection.
Antibiotics shouldn't be taken unless absolutely necessary. Misuse of antibiotics can lead your body to build up a resistance to the medication. If your doctor does prescribe you antibiotics, be sure to finish the entire treatment regimen.
Essentially, natural antibiotics are a great way to boost your overall health and eliminate harmful bacteria from your body.