Some hours ago while trying to 'inherit' the tigernut drink left by a colleague, another naughty colleague and friend said "Yetty, I wonder why you are taking this drink, it increases the libido, are you going to visit your boyfriend soon?" I laughed and argued that tigernut has several other benefits. Well, like they say, to each his own, Ugo (my colleague) has chosen that which concerns him. Now let's talk about the miracle known as "Tigernut".
Tiger nuts, known as the world's healthiest snacks, are in reality not nuts but small tubers. The Tigernut is a tuber that has been used for centuries in Africa. The ancient Egyptians already used this food for its magnificent healing and regenerative properties. High in iron, magnesium, potassium, vitamin C, fibre, arginine, vitamin E, several scientific studies have found in these tubers all elements and nutrients that should be consumed in order to pursue a healthy life.
In Nigeria, the Hausas call it ‘Aya’; Yorubas call it ‘Ofio’ or 'Epa Hausa' (like I grew up calling it); the Igbos, ‘imumu’ or ‘aki Hausa’. This snack can be transformed into different forms and its components have different uses. The benefits include but are not limited to:
1. A good aphrodisiac: Tiger nuts supply the body with enough quantity of Vitamin E, essential for fertility in both men and women to help enhance sexual libido.
2. Great for weightloss: It is proven that fiber levels found in the tiger nuts are superior to those found in prunes, whole grains and chia seeds, which is clearly beneficial to keep the digestive system in perfect shape.. This is why these tubers are now beginning to get more and more popular. It is proven that the fiber remains longer in the body of people and provides a high caloric level while suppressing the appetite by giving the simitude of a filled stomach. The fibre element is also an important regulator of blood glucose levels,therefore maming tigernuts excellent for preventing and combating diabetes.
3. Substitute for cow milk: Tiger nuts are undergoing the same process as the soy milk. The tiger nut milk is seen as the best substitute for cow or sheep milk, because of its non - animal origin and 100% healthy fats. Rich in vitamin E and C, tiger nut combat hypertension and cholesterol. In addition, being an easily digestible food, it is completely suitable for lactose intolerance and prevents cardiovascular problems.
4. Regulates the blood pressure: Controlling blood pressure is one of the main functions of the potassium. And in this sense, tiger nuts, due to the high amount of this chemical helps to control the heart activity. While banana is the most known source of potassium, multiple studies have confirmed that tigernuts provide levels even higher of this electrolyte.
5. Tiger nut oil is therapeutic: Indeed, tiger nut oil is full of healthy power. Because of its high levels of oleic acid (monounsaturated), this liquid is perfect to nourish the skin and prepare it against external aggressions. In addition, tiger nut oil contains sufficient polyunsaturated fatty acids to fully meet the daily needs of the human body. Among the therapeutic properties of tiger nut oil, is, for example, the cure of eczemas or skin lesions caused by dermatophytes, as well as stimulation of calcium absorption, bone tissue regeneration or atherosclerosis, among other diseases.
6. Surplus source of vegetable protein: Plant proteins have very low fat and cholesterol. Consumed regularly, tiger nuts are the ideal and perfect antioxidant for cleansing diets and elimination of toxins (based mainly on fruits and green leaf vegetables) that could serve to deprive from animal foods for a few days or forever. The vegetable protein helps in the natural regulation of the cardiovascular system and proper functioning of cellular activity that prevents the risk of cancer.
Tigernuts can be processed into the oil, flour, milk, or taken whole. Whichever form you choose, take tigernut with the full knowledge of what goodness you are inputting to yourself. Don't be like Ugo but then Ugo is more enlightened now, Lol!